Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Awkward Moments

When you have a child with special needs, there are some unsuspecting, awkward moments that happen.  I hate when these awkward situations arise that I'm totally unprepared for. I never know how to react and are usually so stunned that I don't end up reacting at all at the time.

Imagine being me, the mom of a sweet child with Down syndrome who attends a special education program, when people make these statements:


"I heard some terrible news. The doctor thinks that Mrs. Jones is going to have a baby with Down syndrome."  

"I just found out that I'm having a baby with Down syndrome, and I'm not sure I want to keep it."

"We need to have special prayer with our church because we think we are having a baby with Down syndrome." Followed by several minutes of prayer for the unborn baby not to have Down syndrome.

"I wish my child didn't have to have an IEP. It's so sad."

"I don't want MY child is the special education room. That's for kids who are really bad off, not MY child." (I have heard this one several times!!!)

"I don't want MY child in the special education room with all those special ed kids who are mean and don't talk!"

"Can you believe she did that? She's so retarded?"

"I told him that he's doing it wrong. I told him that's the way the special kids do it."

*****
Ok, I know people make mistakes and sometimes you say some things without thinking. But, really sometimes I can't believe what people say to me. 

Please friends, family, and professionals, think before you speak and apologize if you said something offensive.

And to my fellow moms who find themselves in these awkward situations, practice forgiveness, love, and patience. Respond in love because most people really don't know they are being offensive.




No comments:

Post a Comment

submit to reddit