Thursday, February 28, 2013

Finding Joy in a Toy Box

There is a very wordy song we sing at church. The chorus is simple though. It goes like this:  I got the joy. I got the joy. I got the joy. (repeat)

From time to time, Elijah and I will sing this chorus to each other. He will shout happily, "I got the joy!"

We were singing this song this morning while we were waiting for the bus to come. You can't help but smile when you sing this song. Then Elijah asked, "Where is it?" 

"Where's what?" I ask.

"Where's the joy? Is it in the toy box?" he innocently asked.

"No, joy is inside you. It means you are really happy," I tried explaining.

There many things in life that try to steal my joy. Right now, Jaycee has been home sick for a few days. There are times that I have felt fearful and overwhelmed. Joy is making only brief appearances. Sometimes, I find myself like Elijah asking "Where is the joy?" It leaves in such a way that it isn't noticed immediately.

But we do have access to joy through Jesus. It is as easy as going to the toy box and picking it up. We can go to the word and read about joy. If fear is blocking my joy, then I'm the one who is allowing it. It shows I'm not trusting God to take care of us and meet our needs. Through God alone can we have confidence in our less than ideal circumstances.

Thank you God for talking to me through a three year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment

submit to reddit