Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Truth about "Bearing"

In the past 7 years, I don't know how many times I've had well meaning Christians tell me that God never gives us more than we can bear. I have heard it while standing in church asking for prayer. I have heard it in casual conversations. They say it with a smile and attitude of---well if you are struggling, you shouldn't be because God doesn't give you more than you can handle.

Every time, I heard that I wanted to roll my eyes and slap the person. I never did it of course and it's not a very Christian feeling I know. But, it's how I felt! I didn't know how to take that scripture reference and what to do with it. 

Come to find out.....The verse reference is actually 1 Corinthians 10:13 and it doesn't really say what people quote. It says, "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." (NKJV)

As you see, this talks about temptation and not really about trials or burdens. I believe this is one of the most misrepresented scriptures out there. When it's misquoted to try to "help" someone in a crisis, it may have the opposite effect.

Looking at this scripture though, God is the way of escape. Here's how I view most things: Satan comes to kill, steal, & destroy. Jesus gives life more abundantly. (John 10:10) When I'm feeling overwhelmed in a situation, it is the enemy coming against me but God can be there to provide life to the situation.




No comments:

Post a Comment

submit to reddit