Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Groundhog Day for Caregivers

-Do the laundry
-Do Jaycee's medications (morning and night).
-See my speech therapy clients.
-Make dinner.
-Pick up the house.
-Do some writing.
-Do housework.
-Help the kids with their homework.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm doing the same thing every day. And then I think of Groundhog Day.

When I was a teenager, I remember my dad enthusiastically loving the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray. He loved the message and symbolism in the movie as Bill's character relived the same day over and over and over again. His character experienced all sorts of emotions as he experienced the same day repeated. Eventually, he learns to embrace the life he has been given.

All these years later, the message of that movie applies to me. I have many tasks to do everyday as a wife and a mother. Being a caregiver to a child with special and complex medical needs requires more from me day after day.

The laundry never stops.
Jaycee's medications need to be done twice daily.
Jaycee's bi-pap has to be turned on nightly.
The house won't magically stay picked up.
My to-do list is rarely completed.

One day recently, I felt distressed as I finished up Jaycee's evening medication run, which consists of inhalers, a nebulizer treatment, and 20 minutes of airway clearance. The medications were done for the day but tomorrow she and I would be at it again.

Sometimes, it feels like it will never stop.

Being a caregiver is a continual lesson in serving someone other than yourself. It requires regular attitude checks. It gives opportunity for the most rewarding and the most draining moments.

There are times when I have to pray for my attitude. I don't want to waste time dreading tomorrow because it's full of similar tasks that I just finished today.

I want to embrace the day I have been given. So, I pray. I ask God to help me. I ask Him to help me look only at today without being overwhelmed.

It may be Groundhog Day today, but tomorrow is a brand new day for me! And that is something to look forward to!


1 comment:

  1. groundhog day in many of our homes! you're not alone with the feelings of same stuff different day! a lovely read thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

submit to reddit