Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Scriptures I Pray for my Child with Down syndrome

If you are a person of faith, prayer is hopefully an important part of your life. When my daughter was born years ago, I wasn't exactly sure how to pray for her, and I wasn't sure what scriptures to use to support my prayers. Over time, I have found a few scriptures, and I discovered how to use them in prayer for Jaycee, especially when she has been sick or struggled with verbal speech. Today, I'm sharing them with you and a sample short prayer. I hope this helps you in your prayers for your loved one with Down syndrome! 

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all[b] the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:26-27 NKJV

Father God, I know that Jaycee was created in your image and that your spirit rests inside of her. Help me to see You in her, and help me to bring out the best parts of her that You created. I also know that the things you create are made with purpose. Let me know your purpose for Jaycee so that she can live the life you intended her to live. Help me not to be distracted by the things that she can't do, but let her abilities be at the forefront of my eyes so I don't get sidetracked. Amen! 


In this manner, therefore, pray:
Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.

10 
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.

11 
Give us this day our daily bread.

12 
And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.

13 
And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.[c
Matthew 6:9-13 NKJV
God, your word in Matthew 6 is powerful! I am thankful that your kingdom is life-giving and life-changing. I pray that your kingdom come in Jaycee's life and your will be done just as it is in heaven. Sickness cannot abide in your kingdom, so let sickness not be part of Jaycee's life. I pray that she'll walk in victory here in earth just as she would in heaven. Let everything she struggles with on earth turn into a victory through you working in her life. Let your will be done in Jaycee's life so that she can show others your kingdom as well. Amen. 

10 Then Moses said to the Lord, “O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.”

11 So the Lord said to him, “Who has made man’s mouth? Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind? Have not I, the Lord? 12 Now therefore, go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall say.” Exodus 4:10-11 NKJV
God, I love your response to Moses in the Bible. Moses discounted Your calling because of an imperfection in his life. You saw beyond it though God. You chose to make him a leader despite his speech issue. I thank you God that you encouraged Moses, because I know you can do the same for my daughter. Lord, you know my daughter struggles with verbal speech, but I know you have made her mouth. I know you can use her regardless of her limited speech. Teach Jaycee supernaturally what to say and let her speech improve. Help people to have the ability to see beyond her shortcomings in her speech too so they can see You in her life. Amen. 
I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:9-10 NKJV
God, your word is clear. You give life. Your desire is for your children to live an abundant life. I recognize that any health issue with Jaycee that tries to steal her breath, damage her organs, or make her life restricted isn't from you. I recognize that you don't want these for Jaycee, so God I pray that you give restoration life to every part of her body that is not functioning at its best. Touch her lungs and heart, so that they can be strong to give her a full and long life. Amen!

2 comments:

  1. So good! Thanks for these scriptures! I love that passage from Exodus as well, for praying over my boys--one has a speech disorder, another a significant speech delay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Yes, I really love the one in Exodus.

      Delete

submit to reddit