Sunday, June 10, 2012

Here I Am!

Well, I have been thinking about starting a blog for some time now. Thinking about it doesn't actually get anything done.

So, welcome to my blog I'm calling "A Special Purposed Life." This is a phrase that came to me while I was sitting in a church class last year. The phrase had a significant meaning to me at the time. When you have a child with a disability, "special needs" is often used to describe the child. It's nice, gentle wording that people automatically understand. I don't have a problem with the "special needs" terminology. Trust me, it's much better that a lot of things my daughter has been called.

But, in church life I have wished that there was something else I could call her. "Special needs" means she has needs that are different from others. It implies she is lacking something, which is an accurate description. Jaycee is more like a 2 year old (at best) than a 6 year old. Yet, in all that she cannot do, there are many things that she can do. Most people just don't take the time to find out these hidden gems in her life. Her life has a value and purpose, though sometimes difficult to see because of her many needs. She is here for a reason.

Jaycee is no different than any of us. We are all here for a purpose. Jaycee's purpose is a unique one much different than the majority of people around her. She indeed is special for that reason. So, by saying "special purposed" instead of "special needs" it sends a slightly different message. Jaycee's life is not defined by her many needs. Her life is defined by the unique purpose she was created for.  

Thanks for reading. I hope to share with you my experiences and thoughts as I journey through life with my special purposed daughter. 

**I urge you in the sight of God who gives LIFE to all things...1 Timothy 6:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

submit to reddit