Saturday, October 10, 2015

31 for 21: Sibling Relationships

Happy Sibling Saturday for #31for21!
 
 
Jaycee and her Down syndrome journey is the focus of much of my writing. But, her relationship with her brother is an important piece to mention too.
 
 
Jaycee is three years older than her little brother, Elijah. They are typical siblings in many ways. But, their relationship is different in a good way. They really like to spend time together. They spend way more time together than I ever did with my older brother. They watch tv together, sit in chairs together, and play outside together. They attend the same school, which means they ride the same bus to the same place. They often sit together on the bus.
 
 
Last week, I took Jaycee to the doctor. Throughout the day, Jaycee asked me several times where her "Bubba" was. That same day, Elijah had to go to school without his sister. As soon as he woke up, he said he didn't want to go to school without Jaycee. He didn't want to ride the bus without her. He didn't want to be picked up from school without her. He wanted her there.
 
 
I like that my kids like each other. They have their moments of fighting, but overall they truly are happy siblings. 
 
 
 
Elijah holding Jaycee's cup while she gets a drink after a long day. This was not a staged photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

submit to reddit