Thursday, January 10, 2013

Galatians 5:22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.


This week Jaycee had her yearly Down syndrome clinic day at our Children's hospital. She saw the genetics doctor, the ear, nose, & throat doctor, had a hearing test, and had lab work done. We were at the hospital for 4 hours going from one appointment to the next with no breaks in between. Well, there were breaks because appointment times were not kept by the professionals we were seeing. We didn't wait long at the first place. But the rest of the day was waiting and waiting and waiting.

I hate to wait. You would think of doing this sort of thing for almost 7 years I would be really good at waiting. But, I am not. I hate that my time is not considered important. I hate that appointments are made and I am left to sit in a germy, crowded waiting room for 45 minutes past time with my child. Jaycee does great. She is content to wait and sit and watch cartoons on the tv. I start off patient. But then my patience runs out. I get aggravated. I debate on going to the front desk and asking if we have been forgotten or what number we are in line. I daydream about yelling at these people and asking them if they have ever considered how irritating it is for people like me who have several appointments a year and have to wait, wait, wait.

I wish these people did business like me. I keep my appointments in my therapy practice on time. I consider 5 minutes behind schedule as "late" and call people if I am going to be 10 minutes or more late, which rarely happens. I am considerate of people's time because of my experiences with Jaycee. I want people to know I value their time as much as I value my own.

But usually the hospital and doctors don't do business that way. I don't know if they overbook themselves on purpose. Do they start late everyday? Do they know they are going to run behind? Do they care? Do they care that Jaycee missed lunch because we were waiting for an appointment?

My mind is busy while I am waiting. Then I remember the fruits of the spirit in Galatians 5. I realize I have so far to go. I am not feeling joy or love right now. I don't feel like being kind or gentle with anyone right now. I am hungry and angry. Forget about self-control or patience... I have ssssooo far to go!!  Going to the hospital for appointments lets me know where I stand in the fruits of the spirit. I am more flesh than I am spirit. I definitely have some spiritual work to do!!!!  Oh, the lessons God can show you from a waiting room!



No comments:

Post a Comment

submit to reddit