Saturday, October 1, 2016

Happy Down Syndrome Awareness Month!!

Hip-hip-hooray!!!

It's the month we have been waiting for all year- Down syndrome Awareness Month!

Down syndrome Awareness Month is important to our family because my daughter has Down syndrome. Jaycee is my 10 year old sweetie, a big sister to Elijah, and a friend to many.

Ten years ago, Jaycee was diagnosed with Down syndrome at birth. When I got the news, I was scared and frightened about the future of her life and mine. I didn't know many things about Down syndrome, but the few things I did know weren't positive. The interaction from doctors in the NICU weren't positive either. But that was a long, long time ago.

Now, I know much more.


I know that even though an extra 21st chromosome is present in a person, the chromosome doesn't define the person.

I know that there are some challenges due to Down syndrome, but there are many rewards and positives too.

I know that Down syndrome initially seems like a really, really big deal. As time goes on, it seems to fade more and more into the background.

I know that Jaycee has a good life, a happy life, and so do I.

I also know now- more than ever- that there is a place where Down syndrome and special needs can coexist peacefully in the Christian faith.

I know there are many people who still don't understand Down syndrome or those with intellectual disabilities, so awareness is still needed.

I know there are many people who have never personally met someone with Down syndrome, and they need to know what I know!

For these reason, I, along with many other bloggers, participate in the 31 for 21 challenge, where we blog all 31 days of October to raise support, understanding, and celebration about Down syndrome and the individuals who have it. Each day this month, I will have new content featuring information about Down syndrome or people with Down syndrome. There will be some guest writers too that I am very excited about.

So stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment

submit to reddit