Thursday, October 27, 2016

My Favorite Books for Explaining Down syndrome or Disabiilty

Books are a great way to open conversations about differences in children. When my son came along, finding books that could normalize disability and differences was important to me. I also wanted him to learn about his sister's Down syndrome in a way that felt positive.

From an early age (probably 2), I started reading stories about children with Down syndrome or disabilities to my son, so we could create times to talk about these things. Living in a rural area where people with disabilities are few in numbers, I felt the books were an easy to expose Elijah to people like his sister.

So, here are a few of my favorite books geared toward children.


We'll Paint the Octopus Red

1998

This book specifically talks about a sister learning her brother has Down syndrome. I have read mixed reviews on this book, but I happen to love it. It specifically talks about Down syndrome, and opens up the line of conversation.



This book talks about disability and differences in general. It has a message of acceptance and shows pictures of children with a variety of disabilities. The pictures are my favorite part of the book.



Zippy's Big Difference

Jan 24, 2013
by Candida Sullivan and Jack Foster

Zippy is the main character in this book. Zippy is a zebra without stripes and struggles to find acceptance with this difference. There is a series of Zippy books each one with a message from a Christian perspective on disability and difference. This is one of my favorite books written on disability while including spiritual principles.


Have a favorite book not mentioned? Comment below (comments are moderated)


This post is for Down syndrome Awareness Month where bloggers write for all 31 days of October for Trisomy 21. I am part of this 31 for 21 challenge. During the month of October, the NDSS asks that we celebrate people with Down syndrome and make others aware of abilities and accomplishments. Individuals with Down syndrome have abilities that need to be celebrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

submit to reddit