Monday, October 24, 2016

My Favorite Books about Down syndrome

I read all the time. I read novels, memoirs, and -of course- books on the topic of Down syndrome. When Jaycee was born, I craved information. I wanted to know how to help her and what to expect. I also loved reading personal stories from mothers. It helped to know some of things I was thinking and feeling was normal. Reading books from Christian authors helped me understand how other people balanced their faith when they saw their child struggling. Reading is a good way to learn and help yourself sort out some thoughts.

Without further ado, here's my top 10 books related to Down syndrome in no particular order. Most or all of these are available on Amazon.


On the subject of educational/developmental information:


Stars of Success: Understanding How Children With Down Syndrome Learn

Sep 1, 2003
by Susan J. Peoples and Bernell Fettig




On the topic of siblings:


On the subject of parenting, accepting a diagnosis, and personal stories:


Gifts: Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives

May 15, 2007
by Kathryn Lynard Soper and Martha Sears





My Emily
Mar 29, 2012


Room 47: Down Syndrome - a new father's diary

Dec 19, 2012
by S. R. Taddei


There are many great books on the topic of Down syndrome. I haven't read them all, so if your favorite isn't here, then feel free to comment below. Happy reading!


This post is for Down syndrome Awareness Month where bloggers write for all 31 days of October for Trisomy 21. I am part of this 31 for 21 challenge. During the month of October, the NDSS asks that we celebrate people with Down syndrome and make others aware of abilities and accomplishments. Individuals with Down syndrome have abilities that need to be celebrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

submit to reddit