Saturday, October 29, 2016

Jaycee's First School Dance

Jaycee in her dancing shoes for her first dance



Decisions, decisions.

As parents, we make many decisions. Sometimes, the decisions are easy. Sometimes, they are not.

Recently, I had to make a decision for Jaycee. It is a relatively small decision, but one that had extra consideration since she has special needs.

A flyer from school came home announcing a school dance for 4th-6th grade. Jaycee was in 4th grade, which meant this could be her first school dance.

My first impulse was to throw the paper away. After all, she probably wouldn't know that she missed anything. But, I didn't.

Jaycee loves music. She loves to dance. Most importantly, she absolutely loves socializing with her friends (yes- even typically developing peers) from school.

So, I pondered the dance. I must admit that I was mainly concerned with two things. First, a dark gym meant there was a possibility Jaycee could get lost or wander off. However, there were going to be many chaperones including several teachers that know her. Secondly, children from the other school in our county were invited. Jaycee is loved and accepted by the children in her school. How would children from the other school treat her?

Despite my concerns, I had one question for myself.

 If this was my son who could talk and ask questions, I would give him a choice. I would not have any reservations about his decision. Why not Jaycee?

So, I did what any good mother with some reservations would do. I volunteered to work the concession stand at the dance, and peek in on Jaycee periodically. It worked well for both of us. She didn't mind I was there (really!).

Jaycee had a great time! She experienced her first dance along with the other children in her class. And, she even got in trouble for kissing a boy! Ha!

Sometimes, we make a decision, and we learn it was the right one. That's a good feeling!


This post is for Down syndrome Awareness Month where bloggers write for all 31 days of October for Trisomy 21. I am part of this 31 for 21 challenge. During the month of October, the NDSS asks that we celebrate people with Down syndrome and make others aware of abilities and accomplishments. Individuals with Down syndrome have abilities that need to be celebrated!


No comments:

Post a Comment

submit to reddit