Wednesday, October 26, 2016

3 Great Products for Those with Down syndrome

There are many amazing products that are made specifically for individuals with Down syndrome. I thought I would feature 3 of these today in case someone somewhere is unaware of these great products and companies.


Specs 4 Us
These glasses are specifically made to fit the faces of individuals with Down syndrome. Speaking from personal experience, finding glasses that fit my daughter's face has been next to impossible. My daughter's nasal bridge is very flat, which is something these glasses account for. If you have a child with Down syndrome who is hard to fit, I strongly recommend this line of frames.
Jaycee in a pair of Specs 4 Us


Downs Designs Jeans
At a conference for Down syndrome, I discovered this company. I was intrigued by their design of jeans made for people with Down syndrome in mind. Individuals with Down syndrome are often short, so their jeans account for this. (Normally, I try to buy capri length pants for Jaycee to wear as her "normal" length.) These jeans also have no buttons or zippers. Elastic waists are our friends! The pair of jeans we received for Jaycee from this company is of very good quality. If your child with Down syndrome has difficulty finding jeans that fit, check this company out!



Board books featuring our kids
I love the board books published by Woodbine House! These books written for toddler and preschool children feature children with Down syndrome in pictures. I love these books for the vocabulary teaching in them and the pictures of the children. When my son came along, we used these books and pictures to normalize Down syndrome for our son. I would read these books to him and say things like, "She has Down syndrome too like your sissy."


There are many great companies and businesses that have products geared for those with Down syndrome. I have named just 3 today but if you do some digging, you will find many other wonderful products.


This post is for Down syndrome Awareness Month where bloggers write for all 31 days of October for Trisomy 21. I am part of this 31 for 21 challenge. During the month of October, the NDSS asks that we celebrate people with Down syndrome and make others aware of abilities and accomplishments. Individuals with Down syndrome have abilities that need to be celebrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

submit to reddit