Monday, October 6, 2014

31 for 21: Busting a Myth

Blogging 31 days for Down syndrome awareness month continues with Myth busters Monday:

Myth:
Nearly all babies with Down syndrome are born to women over age 35.

Fact:
As the mom ages, her chance of having a baby with Down syndrome does increase. From what I have read, sources have said that 50-80% of babies with Down syndrome are born to women under age 35.

Hey, I believed the myth when I was younger. I didn't realize it was possible for a young mom to have a baby with Down syndrome. Then, I gave birth to my first child, who had Down syndrome, at age 25.

I remember asking the doctor how Down syndrome could happen to my baby when I was so young. It seemed impossible or so I thought.

I didn't know what I know now. It can happen to any pregnant mom. The chances of it happening are less when you are younger, but it can still happen. There's nothing wrong with the mom. It could not have been prevented. An extra chromosome occurred and it's no one's fault.

So, yes teenage mothers, moms in their twenties, and moms in their forties can all have a baby with Down syndrome.

There.....a myth is busted!





No comments:

Post a Comment

submit to reddit