Friday, October 24, 2014

31 for 21: News Flash

31 for 21 & Photo Friday and the story behind it.




This is a picture of me and my friend, Julie, at a local news station a few weeks ago. We were on the local morning program to discuss different aspects of Down syndrome for Down syndrome Awareness Month. Julie went on as the support group leader talking about the group. I discussed parenting Jaycee and her communication device.

My first thought when they told me that I would be doing a live interview was: "What have I gotten myself in to?"

I had a week to prepare, wonder, stress, and overanalyze what was going to happen in that 3 minutes of live television. I had to go buy new clothes. I had to examine my very frizzy hair and figure out what I was going to do with that. I totally overthought the whole thing.

But, I did prepare for it. I had a message I wanted to send. First, Jaycee is like a lot of other children. Secondly, don't be afraid to have a baby with Down syndrome.

I didn't have the questions ahead of time, so I had practiced with my husband asking me questions and then telling me if I answered them good or bad.

So, I felt ready for the interview when it happened at 5:35 in the morning. It went great. I got the message out that I wanted to send. Even better, I got to introduce many people to AAC as I showed Jaycee's communication device.

Advocating for our children is important. Even if you have to do something that makes you uncomfortable, it's important to get good, positive stories out there about Down syndrome.

But, I'm in no hurry to ever do live television again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

submit to reddit